Sunday, February 17, 2008

Made it!

Well we made it!! Got here >Friday Yesterday at 3:00. Cost $350 something in gas, 3 nights in motel for another $150 or so, and the toll roads about $100. I´ll say this much, I do not recommend anyone to do this drive!! I know Mexican drivers are maniacs, but they sure proved it on this trip, holy cow.. I can´t believe we made it without some idiot clipping us as they pass so close you couldn´t get a hair inbetween the cars. And tailgating? ha, you don´t know the meaning till you drive this country!! Speed limit was (on the good hiways,) 75 which means nothing to them!! Alot of the road was at least freeway like.. only some was really rough and you really had to watch for potholes...THEN.... WE HAD A BREAKDOWN!! man was that a bit of a scare.. but we were very lucky it didn´t happen the night before when we drove past dark to get to a bigger town and again very lucky we were in a spot where there was room on the side of the road to pull over!!! much of the time there was NO PLACE to pull off.. and then lucky also that where we were there was some guys with tractors out in a field spraying and Chino walked WAAAAY out to them and they brought him back and the guy found that our battery had come disconnected from all the rough roads and ridiculous tope´s (speedbumps) that they have all over the place. I wish I had remembered to take a video of where he was walking darn it...way out in this corn field. I sat at the car and waved this VW that was passing on the other side of the fence where the fields were and a nice gentleman, well dressed , older, stopped and I did my best to convey to him that my amigo in a blanco shirt (pointing) was going to get help and our truck would not start. I picked up from him that he was going somewhere quick then he would come back and go get chino out in the field.. but chino had gotten to the tractors and they brought him back just as that gentleman came back and the tractor driver tied up the battery enough to get the truck going and the nice gentleman had us follow him to the machanico just 5 miles up the road.. Phew!!! lotta luck there!!
Today the backhoe came and dug a trench for one part of the foundation but chino is having a hard time finding the help that was going to help us cause alot of americans are buying up land here and getting all the people to work for them so helpers are now hard to find!! and they are paying better than what we were... the back hoe was $35 for an hour..pretty good!
I got my place all set up and if I can find an english speaking person sometime at one of the internet cafe´s here (or get Chino to come with me) I´ll see if I can load the video´s of the ¨"camp"... I have a hot plate and a tarped off corner for a bathroom and my Boom box and a table and 2 chairs.. what else do ya need!! I won´t be staying over night in it this trip.. not till everything is all sealed up good.. don´t want any bugs or scorpions getting in!! I did bring alot of lunch stuff, PB and jelly, soups, Ramen, cereal, coco, coffee, so I do lunch fine.. But I sure wish I could cook! Oh and I brought my little fridge too. and a fan!! it was 90 today!! yuk!!!!
Well, can´t think of anything else to add... Flying is sure cheaper and much less stressful and of course quicker!! But I really need to bring down one more truck load.. bummer,, what a trip it is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment