Well, My place has been quite the center of attraction in the neighborhood, usually the rich Americans are building up on the hill and this part of the neighborhood doesn't get a lot of action, so lots of people have been coming by to check it out..even though I am on a dead end street and not that many people know its happening.
Somehow, I had my camera on the internal setting so I will have to add the couple of beginning videos when I get back since I forgot to grab my USB cable, thank goodness my laptop has a card reader! Things are rolling along pretty good, something happened with my electricity and the fan works (thank goodness!) but bummer, my fridge and cook plate seem to draw too much electricity and now won't work. A guy came by and checked everything out and stripped all the ends on all the connections but that didn't help, ( the charge was $7.00!) he said the full power is not coming from the main meter, so we have to take a trip to the next town, Las Varas, to talk to the electric company to come out and see whats up. Hope that gets fixed soon! I can't have coffee or cold water and milk!!
Man its been terribly hot, just won't cool off for me, makes it really hard to work in! One day it did only get to 86! but everyday has been 90, guess I'm lucky it hasn't been 100! (yet?)
Even when I come home (to M's mom's) and I'm hotter than heck, it still is no fun to take a shower with cold water. I'm going to do solar water with black pipe on the roof. You can bet that will be plenty hot enough. I will pipe it to a kitchen sink too. A few people here have electric instant water heaters, but I'm sure solar will do just fine without the cost of electricity, just need to see how may hundred feet of black pipe to make it work well. I will see what the cost is for that here, hope its as cheap as home. A lot of things are more expensive here like anything that is a luxury... like cars, washing machines, tools, cement, refrigerators, mattress's, windows. Gas is about the same as home though. But water and electricity seem to be a bit cheaper than home. I talked to a guy who works in a camera shop and he gets paid about $100 a week. The guy doing the cement work is $40 a day 7:30-5:00. The rock load cost me $70 and the sand/gravel was $75. The cement is $10 a bag (yikes and I need lots!!)
The foundations they build here are humungeous, guess its cause they build with brick and not wood. The foundation they are building will hold 3 stories. If I can ever even afford the second story I will be doing good. Thats the biggest cost for sure.
I am hoping that there are not so many Roosters at my end of the street as there are here at M's mom's!! They start crowing well before daylight and its funny cause you can hear them all over town, near and far...so I'm sure it won't be much different..My neighbors across the street have some but at least not a tree full of them right outside my bedroom window! Its so cute to hear the baby roosters, I'll try to get a video of the baby one that is across the street from me, such a little baby crow, it is funny..
Well, I could bore you all day with just tales of this week, so I'll get more on next week sometime. Got lots of video here!
No comments:
Post a Comment